Wednesday, September 21, 2011
UPPING YOUR DANCE GAME
I am so very excited about MECDA’s Pro Dance Retreat… and there’s only one more week left to register!
The event takes place OCT 6-10, 2011, in Newport Beach, California
This weekend will be like a crash college course in all aspects of business for belly dancers! From learning about music copyrights to making a class curriculum; from structuring a show to negotiating gig fees, from promotion to professional networking- and more!
Back when I first started dancing, there was absolutely nothing at all like this- not to mention no cell phones, email or internet. Finding out ANYTHING about belly dancing, from history to costuming, was nearly impossible....and as for figuring out how to go about becoming a professional at something I loved and thought I'd be good at? NADA!
In those days, I felt like I was on a treasure hunt for knowledge…and though it was fun, a lot of what I learned about becoming a successful professional dancer was learned through the “school of hard knocks”. In fact, i probably got a PhD in that, which is precisely the reason i am so stoked about this conference, which is the first of it's kind.
The workshops are designed for those who want to turn pro, or professional dancers who want some assistance in reaching their career goals and increasing their income, promotional skills, class and performance knowledge, etc.
There will be workshops on everything from developing your professional persona, to making class curriculum, stage make-up to marketing! Also many opportunities to network, and get one-on-one brainstorming sessions with dance professionals. Of course there will also be leisure activities like cocktail parties, an informal hafla and optional luxury spa treatments.
Here is how the event is described on the MECDA site:
This conference is a MUST if you’ve ever…
▪ wondered “am I ready to become a professional?”
▪ dreamed about opening your own studio.
▪ thought about quitting because you’re just not making a living wage.
▪ felt like the economy is kicking your butt, and you’d like to kick back.
▪ wanted to have the extra money to buy costumes and go to workshops without feeling guilty.
▪ figured there’s got to be an easier way to get paying gigs.
▪ been told “better keep your day job!”
▪ believed you had to be a starving artist.
▪ wished you could teach workshops locally or nationally.
▪ felt like producing your own DVD, but didn’t know where to start.
▪ wondered where to find students and how to keep them coming back.
▪ discussed holding a big event, but didn’t know how.
▪ wanted to learn how to run a successful troupe.
▪ been curious about the history and heritage of our dance.
▪ paid a fortune in advertising and wished you didn’t have to.
▪ been treated badly by another dancer protecting “her territory.”
▪ had a burning question and no one would give you a straight answer.
▪ wished you had access to event promoters and organizers.
▪ reached a point where it was too painful NOT to be a professional dancer, but were too intimidated or confused or fearful to get started.
The teachers are all fantastic, and include Zahra Zuhair, Julie Eason of The Bellydance Business Academy, Angelika Nemeth, Amara, Devilla , Nadira Jamal, myself and more—don’t miss this opportunity.
Find out more- and register- here:
You'll be glad you did!