Tuesday, November 17, 2009

GIG ESSENTIALS: THE ROYAL CHECKLIST

Even the most experienced dancers have shown up at gigs and forgotten an essential item for their show...be it finger cymbals, a costume piece or even music...we've all been there! In order to prevent such snafu's, I have a gig check-list on my computer that I refer to every time I do a show... and though that's almost every day for me, i still need to make sure I packed everything I will need for my show.

In the "olden days", when I was a baby dancer, I needed my list just to be sure I hadn't forgotten anything...nowadays I need it cause I'm in a perpetual state of Jet Lag!
So... thought I'd share my basic gig checklist with you:


1) COSTUME: All pieces including: bra, belt, skirt, choli top, veil, any accessories and any jewelry you wear for your shows.

2) MUSIC: Your routine on iPod, CD and possibly even a cassette ( yes, there are places that still use them!) also,a back-up CD and also a second or third musical selection (just in case another dancer is using the same music, or if you need more or less performance time

3) SOUND: iPod, computer or boom box (if you are performing at a place with no sound system-check before hand so there are no surprises)

4) FINGER CYMBALS (if you use them) and make sure that you have all four, with good, new eleastic)

5) PROPS: cane, sword, pots, shamadan or candelabra (with extra candles and matches!) Isis Wings…whatever props you may be using

6) CAFTAN OR COVER-UP: For warmth as well as for keeping your costume covered as you move through the crowd pre and post-show

7) SHOES: Ballet slippers, Hermes sandals, ballroom shoes- whatever you prefer- just in case your performance floor surface is dirty, un-even or potentially dangerous: pebbles, broken glass, rough and splintery, etc.

8) SMALL TOWEL: An essential for post-show mop-up

9) MAKE-UP BAG: Containing at the very least, powder, lipstick, eye-liner and eye/lip pencils)

10) DIRECTIONS AND A CONTACT NUMBER FOR YOUR EVENT: Enough said…use GPS, if you have it!

** HAIR AND MAKE-UP SHOULD BE FULLY FINISHED BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE! AT SOME GIGS, MIRROR SPACE IS AT A PREMIUM BECAUSE OF MULTIPLE DANCERS; AT OTHERS, THE DrESSING AREA MAY BE DARK OR MAY NOT EVEN HAVE A MIRROR...BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!

You should also pack a small dance-bag “emergency kit” and keep it in your suitcase, with the following items:
1) Small portable sewing kit
2) Safety pins- all sizes. Diaper pins work best for holding heavy dance belts.
3) Bobby pins
4) Feminine protection
5) Aspirin or Ibuprofen
6) Band-aids at the very least, a small first aid kit is better
7) Breath mints
8) Hair brush and comb, assorted bobby pins, clips and hair ties
9) Hair spray or mousse
10) Body glitter....this may not be an "emergency item" for you, but it is for me!
11) Deodorant and/or perfume
12) Travel pack of baby-wipes

1 comment:

  1. Great, great tips! This posting should be distributed far and wide.

    ReplyDelete