Monday, February 1, 2010

THIS WEEK IS GONNA BE EPIC...IF I GET THROUGH IT, THAT IS!



2010 got off to a crazy start. Mistakenly, I somehow thought that January would be quiet... but boy, was I wrong!
As far back as I can remember, it seems that life- MY life, anyway, is always a rollercoaster of extreme highs and lows. Drama, and not the manufactured, reality television type, always seems to follow me. Though I congratulated myself on being home, with stage make-up completely off before the stroke of midnight, the New Year began with an exploding water heater. It's never a good thing when you have to call your landlord late on a Sunday night!

In the past few weeks, I've lost a dear old friend, another had a serious accident and is still in the hospital, and almost lost a kitty due to an emergency- we had to rush her to the vet in the middle of a torrential rainstorm of Biblical proportions. An ark probably would've done a better job than my car at that point! This all took a huge toll on me, and though I was ecstatic to have gigs every night, the whole first weeks of this year were exhausting, both physically and emotionally.

Anyway, things are looking up now: I'm at peace with my friend's passing, my other friend seems to be doing better and will be moved from ICU this week ( knock on wood) and the kitty is great!

This week, I am looking forward to two major events: February 3 is the Hollywood Premiere of "Stuck!", Steve Balderson's fantastic black and white homage to 1950's noir women-in-prison films. I am thrilled that the movie is showing at The Egyptian Theater, an LA Landmark ( with an appropriately "friendly" name for belly dancers!) it's beyond my wildest dreams! My co-stars, the legendary Karen Black, Jane Wiedlin ( of the Go-Go's) Susan traylor, Starina Johnson and Stacy Cunningham will all be at the premiere. I wish my cellmate, Mink Stole ( another life-long dream was to meet her and work with her!) could attend!

Two days later, on Feb 5 a show I am producing and performing on, Rockin' Bones, will be at The Dragonfly in Hollywood. The night is a benefit for my dear friend, artist Natasha Vetlugin, who had a severe accident in November, 2009, and broke MANY bones is now faced with massive hospital bills. See? I TOLD you about the drama! But Natasha is getting better too... she will actually be able to attend, and the line-up is stellar- the people on the bill are all wildly talented and in many cases, world-famous!

If you're in Los Angeles, I hope you can join me at both these events!

No comments:

Post a Comment